I do branding that helps people and organisations, big and small, create the future they want to success in. It begins with the end in mind – your Brand Blueprint – the ideal state you’re aiming for.
I can help you with:
- Discovering and articulating your business brand – Vision, Mission, Purpose, Values, Essence, Promise
- Positioning your business brand in the marketplace – Unique Selling Value Proposition
- Delivering on and communicating your business brand promise and positioning
- A blueprint that creates the world you and your business want to succeed in
- Inspiring you and your people to think big and aim high
I am The Brand Guy. This year I was ranked #12 in the world’s Top 30 Brand Professionals.
After working in multi-national ad agencies on brands such as Coca-Cola and Microsoft at Saatchi & Saatchi, Ogilvy & Mather, DDB, and McCann-Erickson, I pioneered a new way to do branding in Australia, where everything you DO and SAY as a business is driven by and aligned to your brand strategy.
Branding is a leadership issue, not a marketing concept, and it starts at the top of with the CEO/MD and his/her Executive Team. Everything can and must be driven by and aligned to your brand strategy – your business strategy, your products and services, your culture and values, your customer service and trade relationships, your marketplace positioning as well as [and not just] your marketing communications.
Companies I have branded in this way include QBE, CSIRO, Mortgage Choice, Macquarie Bank, Vodafone, the Breast Cancer Institute of Australia, and many more large and small businesses.
I deliver keynote talks and run workshops on Brand YOU, Branding, Change & Innovation, Peak Performance, Sales and Customer Service at conferences and seminars, and co-run a Brand Strategy & Design Company.
I have recently published my second book, Are You Living Your Resume Or Your Eulogy? It’s a wake up call for people and workers who are dissatisfied with their lives, often even in the face of their ‘success’.
- Head of Brand Strategy, Brandcraft: 2014-current – Strategy and design agency I run with my business partner. Major projects include CSIRO, Data61, Breast Cancer Institute of Australia, Rapporr (a tech start-up), Kebari (a CSIRO start-up), JB Medical Supplies (a small Brisbane-based company specialising in perinatal care products).
- The Brand Guy, 2006-current: I deliver keynote talks and run workshops on Brand YOU, Branding, Change & Innovation, Peak Performance, Sales and Customer Service at conferences and seminars. I also facilitate strategic planning days for small and large companies.
- Head of Brand Strategy, George Patterson Partners: 2004 – 2005 (1 year) – Worked with a team of 5 strategists. On the agency Management Team. Done on a part time [50%] basis.
- Director of Strategy, McCann Erickson: 1999 – 2003 (4 years) Sydney, Australia – Built and ran a strategy team of 10 planners. Helped out in Melbourne and Brisbane offices too. In 2000 McCann topped the national agency list for new business won. Big wins were Southcorp and GIO/AMP.
- Senior Brand Planner, DDB: 1998 – 1999 (1 year) – Major accomplishment = pitched 12 times, won 11 times. Wins included Microsoft, Brother, and Harper’s Bazaar.
- Chief Pigeon Pluckerm Neon Pigeon: 1993 – 1997 (4 years) Sydney, Australia – Managing Director of my own ad agency. Our biggest client was The Federal Government Drug Offensive. Neon Pigeon was ranked by BRW as the third best agency in Australia in 1995.
- Account Director, Ogilvy & Mather Direct: 1988 – 1992 (4 years) – AD on Toyota, CCF, and a few smaller clients
- Account Executive, Saatchi & Saatchi Advertising, London: 1986 – 1987 (2 years) Charlotte Street, London – Hired by Saatchi’s as one of 10 Graduate Trainees.
The Positive Psychology School Of Life – Master of Life Experience. Growing up in South Africa. Surviving national service. Starting a career in London. Building a life in Australia. Married for 28 years. Bringing up three kids. 1960 – current.
University of New South Wales – MA, English Literature/ Philosophy, 1991 – 1992
University of Cape Town – BA, English and Psychology, 1983 – 1985
Face to Face Consulting
Richard’s face-to-face consulting offering.